Temporary Wastewater Maintenance Worker I
We are hiring a Temporary Wastewater Maintenance Worker I to support basic maintenance duties at Waste Water Treatment Plant and throughout District. Main job functions include but not limited to learning District infrastructure, systems, and facilities, use of tools and equipment, and assist in all District activities required to install, inspect, maintain and repair collections system facilities and equipment. Perform routine grounds and building maintenance, gardening, janitorial services, and unskilled manual work. Maintenance Worker I reports directly to Wastewater Maintenance Supervisor. To do well in this role you need to be able to execute accurately from instruction given, work independently and communicate clearly with Supervisor and co-workers as well as work well with others.
- Perform inspection, construction, maintenance, and repair activities of District infrastructure
- Operation of specialized vehicles and a variety of light, medium, and heavy equipment related to the maintenance and repair of the District's sanitation infrastructure system
- Perform servicing and repair of pumps, motors, valves and other mechanical and electrical equipment, including pulling and de-ragging pumps
- Inspection of underground sewer pipes using closed-circuit television equipment to locate leaks, breaks, infiltration and the buildup of dirt, debris, roots and other materials
- Sets up traffic control and safety equipment when using vehicles on a street or roadway
- Uses safety equipment and observes all safety procedures as specified by the District
- Operates a variety of hand and power tools and equipment related to work assignment
- Maintains district facilities in a clean and orderly condition
- Learns and performs confined space entry, as necessary
- Operate mowers, tractors, vehicles, and other small equipment
- Assist in routine maintenance of equipment
- Perform general maintenance, construction, and repair of district facilities
- Perform janitorial duties
- Performs other duties as assigned
Wastewater Maintenance Worker I Requirements:
- High school diploma, general education degree or equivalent
- A valid California Driver's License
- Basic principles, practices, tools, equipment, and supplies required to maintain and repair a wastewater collection system, including underground sewer lines and laterals and pumping stations.
- Basic safety practices related to the work, including confined space entry
- Safe driving rules and practices
- Construction experience preferred
Employees work in the field and are exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, confining workspace, chemicals, mechanical and/or electrical hazards.
May be required to be on-call and to work OT, various shifts or emergencies on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
**Please note, any appointment to a temporary help position is a limited term position and is not to exceed 1,000 hours of employment per fiscal year. Temporary Help employees are not benefit eligible and do not have status. Temporary help employment is temporary and may be ended at any time. Temporary help applications are typically kept on file for a period not to exceed 90 days.